PIE BAKING CONTEST RULES
The First Annual Florence Pie Bar Pie Baking Contest is open to amateur bakers only. Professional bakers or those who earn a portion of their livelihood from baking may not enter.
By participating in this event, entrants agree:
- To abide by the contest rules and decisions of the judges,
- to allow their pie recipe to be viewed by the public, and
- To allow organizers to publish photographs of them and their pies.
How to Enter
- $5 Entry donation or 3 non-perishable food items per pie (Western MA Food Bank will receive all food items and monetary donations)
- Contestants may enter no more than one pie in each category. Multiple pie entries per person are allowed, but must be in different categories and require a separate donation.
- A separate entry form, a detailed recipe, and a list of ingredients must accompany each pie.
- Complete and submit an entry form for each pie here: florencepiebar.com.
- Each pie entered must be in the name of the person who made it.
- Individual entries only, no place of business or retail/dining establishment may enter.
- >>>> Entry Deadline - September 22nd, at 6pm <<<<
- A pie has a bottom crust, perhaps a top crust, and a filling. Tart entries are also allowed.
- Sweet pies only, savory pies will have their turn another day.
- Crust and filling must be made from scratch by the entrant only.
- Pies should be submitted covered and at a proper temperature for the type of pie.
- NO FROZEN PIES, please
- Please use only disposable 9 or 9 1/2-inch pie pans.
- Fruit Pies
- Nut Pies
- Cream, Custard or Chocolate Pies
- Youth Pie (Entrants must be younger than 14 years old.)
Judging and Prizes
A panel of judges from the community will judge the entries. This is a blind judging, and all decisions of the judges are final. Winners will be announced after the judging is complete. Please consider the light-hearted intention of the day and accept the final decisions of the judging panel.
- All pies, including youth pies, must be submitted between 1:00 PM and 3:30 PM the day of the contest.
- There will be a minimum of 3 judges, and pies will be evaluated by entrant number only (no names).
- Judging criteria will include overall appearance and taste. Note that pie pan will not be considered a part of the presentation, (please use a disposable pie tin).
- Scoring: Each judge will assign a numerical value (1-5) in each category without discussion among judges. The pie receiving the highest total numerical value will be the winner in that category. In the case of a tie, the judges will review and discuss those pies before a second vote.
- Judges will not know the names of entrants until the winners are announced.
- Winners in each category will receive prizes and/or gift certificates to Florence Pie Bar.
- Youth pies will be judged within their own category for presentation, flavor and creativity.
- All winners will be announced after the judging.
- At the conclusion of the event, bakers may share their pies or take them home. Any pies left will be disposed of by 8pm on the day of the event.